Attracting the right people into your life.
If we earnestly wish to achieve our goals and stay focused on them, then it is very important to surround ourselves with the right people. We become the average of the 4-5 people we spend most of our time with.
"The secret of attraction is to love yourself. Attractive people judge neither themselves nor others. They are open to gestures of love. They think about love, and express their love in every action. They know that love is not a mere sentiment, but the ultimate truth at the heart of the universe." Deepak Chopra
It is crystal clear that, if the significant people in our lives that we have most contact with, do not support us in our goals, promote negative views to us and remind us of our weaknesses or foibles we are not being well served by such friends.
But how DO we attract positive people into our lives?
Here are some key points to consider:
- Listen intently. Listen with your eyes - stay focused on the person talking to you - don't let them wander -listen totally not for the words alone but for the intent, the body language etc
- Help people get what they want without any expectation of anything in return. The leadership writer, Zig Ziglar says if you help just enough people get what they want, you will get what you want - but you have to help them FIRST.
- Give people you know sincere recognition and thanks by sending unexpected thank you notes, taking them out for a drink or visiting them at their place of work or home to say "hello."
- Mean what you say - let your spoken words be worth their weight in gold. If you say you will do something, then do it. Action speaks louder than words - demonstrate your integrity.
- Recognize that each character in the play of your life is there to teach or show you something. You could be shown the light at the end of the tunnel or courage you never knew you had. You could be given the opportunity to go in a different direction with your life that you hadn't thought of before.
Essentially this means the energy you put out into the universe is reflected back at you. Like a mirror, the actions, feelings and attitudes we create are duplicated in those around us. So if you get up on the ‘wrong side of the bed' in the morning you may find that for the rest of the day you keep running into grumpy, grouchy, surly people. This is not really a coincidence. You are just experiencing what is known as the "Mirror Effect." What it comes down to is that
However you can use the ‘mirror effect' to your advantage. So, if you were to go out and smile and say "Hello" to everyone who crossed your path, you would be amazed at what you would receive in return. We do have the power to affect another human being - to make them smile and feel good. And that simple act reflects back to you, creating more positive energy in your life.
- " The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind." William James.